Quarantine & Shipping Information
Koi Market Quarantine Process
We take our Quarantine Process very seriously!
Our customers can be confident that we raise our Koi using the safest quarantine procedures. Here’s a closer look at our detailed quarantine processes for Koi:
» All our holding tanks have separate filtration, nets, viewing bowls and tanks are separated to prevent cross contamination splashing. Hands are also washed between each tank interaction.
» New Koi arrivals are scraped, scoped and prophylactically treated from each tank:
- Treated w/ Salt to .6% for 1 week
- Treated w/ Proform-C or Forma Green
- Treated w/ 100% Praziquantel Twice
» Water is heat ramped between 70 – 75 degrees as per Kennebec Bioscience Labs.
» All fish remain in quarantine a minimum of 6 – 8 weeks before release.
Following 6 – 8 week quarantine, Sentinel Koi are chosen from each tank and shipped to Kennebec River Biosciences, who perform both PCR & ELISA KHV Tests.
When it comes to quarantine protocol, Koi Market has one of the best facilities in the country and our techniques are second to none.Explore all Koi for sale
$125 Flat Rate per Box / Koi Transportation Only
Our Koi shipping method
- We can fit more than one Koi in a Box, shipping will be assessed after purchase
- Any Koi that is over 18.6 inches is shipped by itself in one large box
- Shipping Insurance also available
- The Box Size 29” X 12” X 12”
Koi Shipping Policies
- Koi Market Provides Free Shipping with Koi Purchases of $500 or more.
- Free Shipping is on Southwest Cargo Only
- FedEx Door to Door Shipping is not always available and is on a case by case basis. Using FedEx is not Free, the fee will be calculated after the purchase by our shipping manager.
FedEx and Southwest Cargo
- We offer two shipping methods, Southwest Cargo and FedEx.
- Southwest Cargo is Airport to Airport, it is Free if your spending $500 or more on Koi. If spending less than $500, you will be subject to the fee charged by Southwest cargo, usually in the $100-$125 price range. Insurance is an additional cost and will be calculated once a shipping method is determined.
- Shipping cost for FedEx overnight is more expensive than Southwest, usually in the $125-$175 price point.
- Southwest Cargo: SWC will insure your fish for a minimal fee. This will ensure safe arrival Airport to Airport. You must pick up your koi within 1 hour of the koi landing at its destination airport. You must report any issues and take photos while at the Airport with a photo opening the box at the airport. Once the koi leaves the airport, safe arrival insurance is void.
- FedEx: FedEx Door to Door overnight is not always available and you cannot insure koi shipments going Door to Door so the risk is 100% on the customer. If a koi is damaged or dies during shipment, there is NO recourse.
- Sometimes, depending on the time of year, FedEx will allow you to insure your koi shipment when shipping to a FedEx HUB. This is on a case by case basis and not at peak season or winter months.
- SORRY BUT THERE ARE NO RETURNS OR REFUNDS ON FISH. All fish are sold as is and final. We will give a credit for Koi based on certain circumstances.
- If the fish died upon delivery we will replace it with another fish of equal value. You must notify us immediately within (1hr) of the documented time from the shipping carrier by email or phone, in the unfortunate event that the fish died when you received it. A digital picture of the full dead fish must be taken with the tail cut off of the fish and email to firstname.lastname@example.org as proof. We cannot accept responsibility for shipping delays or damages done by the carrier. If a replacement for this fish is not available a credit will be given to be used on a future fish.
- If anything should happen to your fish within the holding period before the fish are shipped example: illness and/or death, NO replacements will be given. We will issue a store credit towards your next purchase. Store credit must be used within 6 months from the date of issue (extensions are given on a case-by-case basis).
- If a credit is given for a new koi following the unfortunate death of the koi during shipping. Customer must pay shipping cost for the new koi delivery. Koi Market is not liable for shipping costs.
NOTE: Koi Market is a Bio Secure Facility, all koi sales are final, koi cannot be returned. Keeping our koi and facility as clean as possible is critical to assure delivery of clean and healthy koi to our customers. Therefore, once the koi leaves our facility and has experienced other waters, we do not allow any koi to come back for any reason. Avoiding cross contamination is the best practice.
All koi purchases are final, and shipping charges for koi are non-refundable.
- Once we receive your order, your koi selection is moved to a separate holding tank where the koi is checked for any possible issues or if the fish has changed at all since the photo/video was originally taken. If there are any changes, we will contact you to confirm that you would like to proceed with the order. Koi are shipped in an oxygenated bag in a heavy duty box for them to survive 24-48 hours depending on the environment.
- Certain physical changes may occur from the time the koi is packed to when you receive it. During this long travel time, it is common that the koi may show signs of illness but not to worry it is just stress.
Here are a list of things you may experience:
- Faded color, black color especially may get lighter due to its stress, but it will come back over the time. so no worry.
- Veiny skin (commonly seen in the white areas of a koi’s skin)
- Behavior - Under active: No/Minimal movement, Over active: Jumpy
They are just exhausted and stressed from the long journey, they will recover over time.
Koi Gender Is Not Guaranteed
- Please understand, we cannot guarantee the sex of the Koi even though we use our very best judgment with the expertise and experience we have. We try to check the signs and indication of sex, but some of our koi fish for sale are very difficult to distinguish between male or female. This is why even the breeders are not always accurate on the sex of their Koi.
Koi Health Procedures
- Although we cannot guarantee that a fish shipped from us is 100% free of a parasite or pathogen, All shipments of koi to Koi Market from Japan are quarantined for a minimum of 30 days, no exceptions.
- During this process, koi are scraped and scoped for parasites and prophylactically treated using Salt at .6% (6lbs per 100 gallons), Proform C broad spectrum treatment, Praziquantel, Dimlin and Nitrofurazone. Additionally, all koi tanks with new arrivals are tested for KHV using the PCR test by Kennebec Labs.
Damage During Shipment
- If a product purchased from us arrives to you damaged in any way, please contact us within two (2) business days after product arrival to report damage. If warranty support is required, we will contact the respective manufacturer on your behalf to request a warranty claim / RMA#. Customer will be responsible for all shipping costs.
- All Product returns must be approved. We will not accept product returns without prior authorization. For an RMA number call Customer Service at (516) 809 6771 or email email@example.com. All Returns require this authorization number. Please note that an RMA# does not guarantee a refund. All returns are subject to inspection by the manufacturer. Any merchandise returned to us unauthorized will be refused.
- Orders received by customers residing outside the contiguous US will be subject to additional shipping and handling cost. This additional cost will be calculated after checkout and customer notified via email within two business days.
- All returned items, except for warranty claims, are subject to a 15% restocking fee. No returns on specialty (non-stock) items, except in cases of damaged merchandise.
- Please inspect your order when it arrives for damage and verify your order is complete. We do not offer free exchanges or returns for damaged or incorrect merchandise received if reported to us more than five (5) business days after original delivery date.
- All exchanged/returned merchandise must be in original factory condition, including all packaging materials, manuals, warranty cards (not filled-out) and all accessories. Please do not tape or write anything on the item or the package! We reserve the right to charge you for replacement of damaged, altered, missing, written-on or taped-on contents or cartons. We reserve the right to refuse any such returns. If a returned item has been opened, appears used, and/or damaged in any way a refund / credit will not be issued.
- The following items are not returnable but under certain circumstances can be exchanged if damaged during shipping; special/custom orders, pond liner, liner underlay, tubing, books, liquids, medications, water treatments, fish food, plant food, and perishable items! If an item is damaged during shipping, a claim to the shipping company must be immediately submitted as well as a claim to Koi Market so it can be forwarded to the manufacturer/distributor of origin.
- All warranty returns must have a Returned Material Authorization number. Please call to receive an RMA number. Warranty returns must include a copy of the original sales receipt, along with an explanation of the product failure. All warranty returns must be via pre-paid freight. Pack the products into a shipping box with plenty of packing material, and tape securely. Write the RMA# issued by Customer Service clearly on the outside of the shipping box. Please ship your parcel back to the manufacturer freight prepaid via UPS or Fedex Ground Service “Insured”. Sorry, manufacturers cannot accept COD or freight-collect shipments as well as shipments via US Postal Service.
- Koi Market is not responsible for shipping cost(s) incurred on any products(s), no matter the reason for the return. All return Shipping costs are the responsibility of the customer in the event of a return.
- Filters, pumps, UV’s and all other drop-shipped items must be returned to the distributor/manufacturer they came from and must have prior return approval by Koi Market Connection Inc. Returns and return requests must be made within 30 days of purchase.
- All warranties are held by the manufacturers and not by Koi Market. If you have any questions regarding warranties, please either call (516 809 6771) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. If during the warranty period your product requires service, please contact the manufacturer as per the warranty instructions. If you have misplaced your sales receipt, simply email customer service and we will fax a copy of your receipt to the manufacturer on your behalf.
- Each non-perishable product comes complete with a warranty from the manufacturer. The manufacturers’ warranty covers repair or replacement of defective parts, subject to the conditions set forth.
- By purchasing products from us, you are agreeing to the terms and conditions outlined above. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our sales policy, please contact us before purchase.
When Your Koi Arrive
Unpacking Instructions / Acclimation Instructions
- Open the box by peeling the tape or making only a very shallow cut. The fish bag is very close to the top of the box so make sure not to puncture the bag while opening the box.
- Keep bags out of direct sunlight.
- Float un-opened bags for 20-30 minutes to equalize temperature. If there is a big swing in temperature and your koi is not in distress from the Journey, 45-60 minutes may be needed to equalize the temperature in the bag to the temperature of the receiving tank. Do not open bags and add water from your pond or quarantine tank to the bag!
- After the temperature equalizes open the bag and pour fish and water into a separate clean tub or bowl.
- Add the fish to the receiving tank with a koi sock or by hand, Please Do Not put dirty shipping water into your quarantine tank or pond.
- We recommend maintaining the salinity levels in your quarantine tank at 3-5 pounds of un-iodized salt per 100 gallons as a prophylactic measure.
- Even though we quarantine and treat our fish, it is always advised to quarantine new fish upon arrival. DO NOT mix our fish, when in quarantine, with those from other Koi farms, pet shops ETC... That way if during the recommended quarantine time you see a problem you know where those fish came from and it just makes it easier for us to help you.
- During quarantine, maintain water at 70 degrees or higher for best results. (82 or higher is best for healing).
- Cover receiving tanks with a net as new fish are prone to jumping.
- We recommend quarantining new arrivals for a minimum of 7-10 days, recommended 30 days prior to moving them to your pond.